Minerals are vitally important for optimal health in the human body. Therefore, I want to talk to you about the connection between minerals (specifically alkaline minerals) and the pH of the human body. But first, I want to give you a brief explanation of the pH scale in case you are unfamiliar or simply need a little reminder.
pH stands for power of Hydrogen and it measures the hydrogen ion concentration in your body. A pH level of 7.0 is considered neutral while a pH level below 7.0 is acidic and a pH above 7.0 is alkaline. Therefore, the pH scale can help us to understand how either alkaline or acidic our body is.
Not only are our bodies (and our blood) either acidic or alkaline, but the foods we eat are as well! When food is digested and processed in our digestive system, it leaves either an alkaline-forming residue or an acid-forming residue.
In order for life to exist within the human body, the pH of the blood must remain at 7.4! The pH of the blood cannot deviate.
You guessed it; because 7.4 is alkaline this means we must eat a larger quantity of alkaline-forming foods and a smaller quantity of acid-forming foods. Experts believe that 80% of the foods found in nature are alkaline-forming, while the other 20% are acidic-forming. Therefore, we should eat according to this ratio.
So, what happens when we consume too many acid-forming foods and drinks and the pH of our blood is threatened?
When our bodies become too acidic and the pH of our blood is threatened (remember, it cannot deviate from 7.4), the body leaches alkaline minerals from its reserves to compensate for the over-acidity of the body.
These alkaline minerals are: magnesium, potassium, calcium, sodium and iron.
For example, when the blood is too acidic and life is threatened, the body comes to the rescue by pulling the mineral calcium from the bones. This ultimately leads to calcium loss and a breakdown of the body’s bones. The same is true for the other four alkaline minerals: the body uses up these minerals to fight against acidity and, therefore, they are not available to be used for their primary purpose.
The five alkaline minerals are vitally important for optimal health for a number of reasons. Each of them can be beneficial in keeping the body more alkaline and four of them (magnesium, potassium, calcium and sodium) are also macro-minerals, meaning they are needed in large quantities in the body.
To learn whether your blood is acid or alkaline, call today to sign up for a live blood cell screening.
Whether or not you are too acidic is just one weakness that can be seen at the cellular level! In addition, I will help you identify other weaknesses and imbalances at the cellular level and we will work together to improve these weaknesses.
Elizabeth Shepard, BS
to access my